Eliminate unnoticed errors in emails once and for all – with Automatic spell checking in Outlook
A moment of inattentiveness is all it takes for small spelling or grammatical errors to find their way into email. In the context of day-to-day business these errors may cause a misrepresentation of forbearance. In order to always convey a professional impression in written communication with colleagues and clients, each and every email should be spell-checked before being sent.
Outlook provides the possibility to do so automatically. We will show you how to make the required settings that will make spelling errors in emails one less thing to worry about!
- Open Outlook
- Click in the “File” Tab, and then on “Options”
- A new window will open. Select the “Mail” category and enable the option “Always check spelling before sending”.
- Afterward, click “OK”.
Once you send an email, the spell check will be launched automatically. If your mail contains terms that are not included in the dictionary, they will be displayed before the mail is sent. You can then choose between different options:
- Select “Ignore Once” or “Ignore All” if this error should not be corrected and should not be flagged in this mail again
- Our tip: Select “Add to Dictionary”, and the word will no longer be flagged as an error. At first some technical terms such as names or products will be flagged by the spell check, even though they are technically correct. Adding these terms to the dictionary will teach Office your complete company vocabulary in just a few days. This way the spell check can really work to your advantage.
- In some cases, you may receive multiple suggestions of what a correct term could be. If the correct term is contained in the list, select it and click on “Change”.
- A click on “AutoCorrect” will correct all flagged terms automatically. When using AutoCorrect it is however advisable, to check you email before sending it!